when ya friendly mutual keeps talking to the musty person u hate
The study found that people hesitated longer to shoot an armed white target (and they were more likely to accidentally not shoot). Participants were quicker and more accurate with black armed targets but there were more “false alarms” (shooting them when they were unarmed). These effects were present even though participants did not hold any explicit discriminatory views and wanted to treat all targets fairly
“These effects were present even though participants did not hold any explicit discriminatory views and wanted to treat all targets fairly”
You’ve got to be kidding me. That’s total bullshit. If you’re going to shoot an unarmed black person and then claim to not have discriminatory views …What a crock of shit.
got that a little bass ackwards there, I think…first the subject claimed no (explicit) racial biases, and THEN they took the test which proved that, yes, they *did* have (implicit) racial bias
TBH though, focusing on that part of the study is, for me anyway, nearly beside the point —it’s like burying the lede: A Black man holding a wallet is more likely to be shot by the police
than a White man holding a gun. That sentence is troubling enough without reading beyond the word ‘police’
Like I almost don’t give af about the whys, that experiment is proof enough that racial bias causes unjustified shootings (as if anyone seriously needs more convincing) and I just want it all to stop before more Black people like me are shot for no other reason than the color of our skin
but…if we gotta examine that last sentence, there’s nothing problematic with it, unless you’re interpreting it to say that the participants (or the authors meant that the participants) were not racist
It didn’t say that, and that’s kinda the whole point of the study: will your (white people) actions really match up to your claims?
…like why even bother running this experiment on people who ALREADY freely admit to being virulent racists? What would that even prove?
breaking it down:
A) “These effects were present even though participants did not hold any explicit discriminatory views”
translation: test subjects *thought* they aren’t racist because they don’t use the n-word or voted for PBO or some ish like that —a lot of racists actually believe those two things alone eternally exempts them from being a racist
B) “…and wanted to treat all targets fairly” again, what the participants said, allegedly thought, or claimed they “wanted” doesn’t really count after they took a test which blatantly exposed that their actions proved every bit as racist as the actions of…well, a racist
the “Read More” link (in the original post above) and it’s article about Kofi Adu-Brempong goes into it a little more and isn’t giving any white person a pass for being “not racist” it just shows that implicit racial bias can manifest in the same way—and is frequently just as deadly—as explicit racial bias(via odinsblog)
"Keep the kids, Deport the racists"
THIS WAS THE FUNNIEST THING OF ALL THE SHOW
Do they ever take the mom to task for not teaching her Spanish though ? I mean her mom is there.
There was literally nothing funny about this though?
^^^^ that scene hits me right in the *assimilated* child of an immigrant feels. Cause so many parents don’t teach their kids their native tongues (for various reasons) and it hurts us. Especially when we try to connect with those parts of ourselves but other people delegitimize our identity because of a language barrier we are not responsible for.
And before a grade A piece of Shit decides to chime in with “teach yourself” :
1. learning a new language is incredibly hard especially without assistance.
2. Many of us don’t have easy access to quality language learning resources for our mother tongues.
3. In regards to colonized people, of the easily accessible resources, most of them are the European versions of the language and not the language of the people. Which means you end up sounding like a stranger.
So yeah, nothing is funny about this at all.
4. White people are rewarded for learning/speaking more than one language. People of color are ridiculed for that same thing, especially if it impacts any part of their English. A lot of migrant parents think they are protecting us when they don’t teach us our native languages; They think if we only learn English, if we don’t pick up their accent, we might have an easier time in this racist society. Unfortunately, they’re usually right.
5. Learning a new language, especially as an adult, is extremely difficult. Add to that learning disabilities, neuroatypicalities, poverty, lack of resources, lack of time, and it’s nearly impossible.